[TUHS] Knuth and Unix

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Sun Jan 13 13:41:26 AEST 2019

One connection Knuth had to Unix was inventing LALR parsing, the basic
algorithm used in Yacc.  I added some things (notably, the precedence
mechanism) and had to do a lot of engineering to be able to handle
large grammars (e.g. F77) on a PDP-11.  But the underlying algorithm
(taught to my be Al Aho) was all Knuth.

I seem to recall also that a lot of us at that time were underwhelmed
by The Art of Computer Programming, especially the use of MIX.
Perhaps it just meant that Knuth was doing things bottom up, while we
were doing amazing things in small spaces with B and C.

Steve