[TUHS] The John Snow's of the UNIX family

Jon Forrest nobozo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 00:40:02 AEST 2019

On 1/16/2019 6:24 AM, Dan Cross wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 11:08 PM George Michaelson <ggm at algebras.org
> <mailto:ggm at algebras.org>> wrote:
>
>     In my opinion, the popularity of a UNIX platform is tightly tied to
>     the availability of the platform at university.

I was in the CS Department at UC Berkeley for most of the 90s.
Looking at the presence of various Unix workstations was like
looking at the rings of a large tree. At various times, various
Unix workstation vendors would donate hardware in order to help
promote their version of Unix and/or their hardware. There were
the Sun years, the HP years, the DEC years, and the Intel-based PC
years.

Jon Forrest