[TUHS] Floppy to modern files for Usenet maps

Mary Ann Horton Gmail mah at mhorton.net
Wed Jul 10 11:13:45 AEST 2019

On 7/9/19 5:24 PM, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:
> On 7/9/19 5:14 PM, Mary Ann Horton Gmail wrote:
>> However, doing a graphical map based on the UUCP map, or even a
>> Usenet map after 1987, would likely produce a completely black piece
>> of paper :)
>
> Why do you say that?
>
> Based on the raw data that I have, I'm showing 2151 #N lines in the
> map data that I'm looking at from '98.

Well, there are 320 node names in the 3/83 graphic, and it's already
bordering on illegible.  7 times as many, especially with the
concentrations in NJ, Chicago, Boston, etc, it would have to be pretty
creative.  The Shannon map of 7/84 had over 900 hosts (just on Usenet,
not including UUCP only) and they divided it into 9 sections. I suspect
there were a lot more than 2100 UUCP hosts at its peak.

I haven't had much luck doing searches on Google Groups - it often just
gives me the first page and refuses to sort by date. Is there a good way
to mine all the postings to a particular newsgroup, or all of them in a
particular year?

     Mary Ann