[TUHS] PCC for the i386

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jul 12 02:48:16 AEST 2019

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:31 AM Clem cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> By the time of 4.2 the switch from the  Ritchie and Johnson compilers at
> UCB had begun.  Remember the primary output of Rms at that point was emacs
> and gcc.
>
> CSRG wanted the different backends for C.   ThAts it.  Besides the vax,
> Rms had done 68000 and 386 back ends then.
>
> With the original system V, all of AT&T, Intel and IBM paid Interactive
> Systems Corp (aka ISC) to port the System V/Vax code to a 386 ps/2 and an
> Intel reference system that used an ISA bus.  This would be eventually
> released in source at the 386 port from AT&T.   As part of the contract
> summit supplied the compiler
>
> I know the AT&T assembler with it’s backwards syntax from Intel was done
> before rms did his.  He was compatible with the summit assembler.  I don’t
> remember who’s 386 backend came out first.  I think is was the summit
> compiler but you needed a system v license which UCB did not have.

There's also a fair amount of work at MIT to do Intel code generation for
8086 (small mode) that was extended by Queens College London (I think, I
gotta grab the tapes again) to do large mode. I've run into this looking
for a compiler for the Venix source restoration project I've been tilting
at. I found those based on a cryptic comment I found somewhere online about
the tech behind Venix that wasn't from AT&T. I don't know if ISC started
with them as a base or not, nor really how the MIT compilers came about,
but they claim to be PCC based somehow. Don't know if this helps you on
your quest... BTW, I found these when I found the latest pcc-restoration
sources didn't have a working i86 backend anymore (there was once one for
Minux, but when I built it I couldn't get it to generate sensible code at
all).

Warner