[TUHS] Interactive Systems (was Pcc for 386)

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Jul 13 03:00:10 AEST 2019

There were a number of them.  As others have meantioned, the TGV folks did
one, there were a number of tools from DECUS, and even DEC actually
released more and more UNIX into VMS themselves.   I used to carry a mag
tape with vi, the shell and few basic tools that allowed me to edit things
on VMS if I had to deal with it.  The biggest issue was TCP/IP, since
DECnet was the only networking for a such a long time from DEC.

Stan Smith and I wrote the original VAX IP/TCP support for Tektronix in
1979, in BLISS and some small amount of VAX assembler.  My friends (former
coworkers) @ CMU took this back in and enhanced it (the CMU folks did a
huge amount of work on the mail interface).  IIRC I sent the tape to Danny
Klein, but it might have been someone else.

I have the code from the CMU's update of our work on 9-track tape, but I
think it eventually also may have gone out on a DECUS tape.    But I do
know that this code base would make its way to DEC, where CJ and Wayne
would take it to become the code base that started OpenVMS's version [CJ
once told me he was impressed at how little they had to rewrite it, mostly
removing some Vaxism's - Stan and I were not worried about portability, we
just wanted something to talk correctly to the UNIX V7 TCP from 3COM (UNET)
and the TCP we had written from the Cyber NOS].

Clem