[TUHS] Interactive Systems (was Pcc for 386)

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Jul 13 10:36:28 AEST 2019

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019, Warner Losh wrote:

>       Which model of the PDP-11?  I did ports of V6.5 (as I called it)
>       to the 11/34, 11/23, and 11/60, all of which had their oddities.
>
>       And that wouldn't be Eunice, would it?  Or was that purely a DEC
>       product?
>
> Eunice came from Stanford and was sold by the Wollongong group, both as
> a standalone thing, or as the TCP/IP subset... I'm unsure if others
> licensed it or not (TGV did the TCP part, iirc, but enhanced it way more
> than TWG did).

Aha!  Thanks for that background info.

I still remember the conversation I had with my boss about running Eunice
on their Vaxen:

Me: "It makes VMS look civilised."
He: "No, it makes it look like Unix."
Me: "That's what I said!"

Dunno what happened afterwards, because I was attracted to a commercial
opportunity which paid much more and needed my Unix skills (otherwise I
would've been supporting ancient COBOL programs).

-- Dave