[TUHS] Old 386 Unix Versions, was: Re: PCC for the i386

Arrigo Triulzi arrigo at alchemistowl.org
Wed Jul 17 19:28:42 AEST 2019

On 17 Jul 2019, at 10:10, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:

> emanuel stiebler <emu at e-bbes.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2019-07-11 18:50, A. P. Garcia wrote:
>>> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 12:31 PM Clem cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Did Sun have anything to do with that? I seem to recall something
>>> called "Interactive Unix" for the 386, possibly marketed by Sun...
>>
>> "Interactive Unix" was pretty nice back than.
>> Anybody remembers ESIX? Still have the document wall for that ...
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> Sun had a '386 based system in early 90s-ish called the Road Runner.
> I never saw it. It ran SunOS 4.x and I think was discontinued by the
> time Solaris 2.x came along.
>
> And, I *do* remember ESIX. We used it for our product at a startup
> company I worked for. Initially System V R3 based, IIRC, and then
> eventually SVR4; I think we saw an improvement moving to the
> BSD fast file system.

Does anyone have documentation or history for European efforts in the Unix-like operating systems? For example there was Bull’s Chorus which I seem to recall was based on Mach or a competing microkernel (it was a very long time ago and I used it for no mare than about two hours..).

I am rather saddened by the fact that there is so much about all the Unix (and not only Unix) history of computing in the USA and so very little in Europe. I wouldn’t even know where to start, to be honest, all I have as a history is the Italian side from my father and his other mad friends and colleagues in Milan. So little of it is recorded, never mind written down.

Arrigo