[TUHS] Old 386 Unix Versions, was: Re: PCC for the i386

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Jul 18 00:41:27 AEST 2019

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 8:39 AM Ben Greenfield via TUHS <
tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:

> I know that it didn’t run Unix but I believe Nixdorf Computer was the
> large computer company at that time.

Both Nixdorf and Siemens were heavy into UNIX.  Both were founders of OSF.
  Nixdorf OEM'ed a couple of machines from US firms, as well as making
their own.   Siemens and Philips both trended to make their own systems.
IIRC Philips was mostly in the AT&T Camp at the time.  Olivetti was
definitely since one of the original 386 systems AT&T tried to sell was
their PC (in fact was one of systems ISC used for the original 386 UNIX
port - supplied by AT&T).