[TUHS] Quotas - did anyone ever use them?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Jun 4 23:50:03 AEST 2019

A couple of Cambridge quota-related anecdotes:

In its early days the Debian bug tracker was run out of Ian Jackson's
personal account on our central Unix service. He had to delete bugs when
they were closed to keep within his disk quota.

Our mail software Exim has a two-level quota system: it handles quota
errors from the OS as a hard limit, with some annoying portability hacks
https://github.com/Exim/exim/blob/master/src/src/transports/appendfile.c#L1208
Exim it also has its own per-mailbox quota implementation. This can help
control memory usage (mainly by Pine, back in the day...) as well as
providing soft limit warnings and other bells and whistles.

Tony.
Southeast Viking, North Utsire, South Utsire, Northeast Forties: Southerly 4
or 5, becoming cyclonic 5 to 7, perhaps gale 8 later. Slight or moderate,
becoming moderate or rough later. Fog patches, thundery rain later. Moderate
or good, occasionally very poor.