[TUHS] Old Emacs

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 01:52:57 AEST 2019

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 at 11:11, Lawrence Stewart <stewart at serissa.com> wrote:

> I have a copy of the sources for Dave Conroy’s microemacs, if there’s any
> interest.
> It is certainly the smallest one I know about.
>
> I suppose it was quite late to the emacs party, dating from 1989 or so.
> The sources include support for Ultrix and various mini and micro systems,
> plus a few terminal types.

There's some pretty decent discussion of forks of this here...
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MicroEmacs
Perhaps also see...
http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MicroEmacs

I see the torvalds "fork"; it looks like it gets a patch every year or so.
https://github.com/torvalds/uemacs

By the way, JOVE is still maintained, albeit not super actively.
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/pub/hugh/jove-dev/

> I used to use to use it on small and partially installed systems for
> editing config files.   This role seems to be taken by nano in the modern
> day.
>
> I asked him once how to change the key bindings and Dave said “You use the
> Change Configuration command.”  “On Unix it is abbreviated as cc.”

Love it!!!

I liked that about the configuration of wmx (a window manger), although
less enthralled at the "change configuration command" being "g++"