[TUHS] Floppy to modern files for Usenet maps

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Jun 24 10:02:28 AEST 2019

On 6/23/19 5:52 PM, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> Does the AT&T have a serial port?
>
> Kermit would be the way I'd go, but since you say you have nothing with
> serial ports, that could be a problem. A cheap usb-to-serial port might
> be in order. Then you can run Kermit 95 on a Windows 7 or earlier
> machine. (might work on later OS's too, but it's not supported)
>
> The flip side is how to get Kermit onto the DOS machine.

Does Kermit have an option like INTERLNK & INTERSVR have where you can
run a "copy COM1 INTERxxx.EXE" to push the software across the serial port?

I wonder what the requirements are for INTERLNK & INTERSVR.  I don't
know if they would go back to (MS-)DOS 2.11 or not.

> I used a floppy recovery service a while back to read my old Commodore
> 64/PET disks - he was relatively inexpensive, and very responsive.
>
> http://retrofloppy.com/

If the machine is able to read the files without error, then a recovery
service might not be necessary.  IMHO it's a question of getting one or
more copies onto something else so that the existing floppy isn't the
only copy.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die