[TUHS] 4.1c bsd ptrace man entry ("ptrace is unique and arcane")

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Wed Jun 26 11:12:49 AEST 2019

The lack of consistency in what you can READ in /proc makes it hard to
believe its useful in the "wide" -but I am sure specific things get
benefit from it, as an abstraction which makes code simple because
"its a file"

if you're WRITING into things in /proc, I think you own the pain be it
an ioctl() or anything else.

I see occasional shell scripts about turning on and off meta-state for
SCSI or SAS as "cat 0 >
/dev/somedir/some-model-of-abstraction/some-disk" and while I applaud,
I also wince. So easy to go wrong..

As a long-term user and non-developer, I'm sort of half a believer,
half not. Maybe if it had emerged before the great Schism(s) it would
be more normal? sane? understandable?

-G