[TUHS] a possible source for 4.1BSD tapes

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Mar 11 06:33:05 AEST 2019

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 1:55 PM <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:

> Mike Haertel <tuhs at ducky.net> wrote:
>
> > arnold at skeeve.com writes:
> > > Isn't 4.1 on Kirk McKusick's disks?
> >
> > McKusick's disks look sketchy to me too:
>
> So can "someone" ping Kirk about this?

Keep in mind that BSD didn't really have releases. When you called up for a
tape, it wasn't made from some master tape, but rolled off from a system
that had right version on it. I know Kirk told me this once when I was
chatting with him about tapes, RMS and other things. Thje version control
wasn't quite as strict as things are today, so I'm not surprised there's
some variance in images from place to place around the net. We have SCCS,
and multiple images. I think the best we may be able to do is to do the
this was copied from that with these changes and produce a tree of
inheritance... IIRC, SCCS has issues with moved and removed files that
makes it hard to reconstruct things exactly with it. I know RCS and CVS had
these issues. The historical unix git repo has
  remotes/origin/BSD-4-Snapshot-Development
  remotes/origin/BSD-4_1_snap-Snapshot-Development
  remotes/origin/BSD-4_1c_2-Snapshot-Development
branches. Also, version numbering was kinda hazy. Kirk has a big listing in
his house of 4.5 BSD. This is post the first 4BSD release, but not the 5BSD
release. They had thought they'd do a 5BSD, but they had all these
contracts with 4BSD in them, so they were basically forced to do 4.1BSD
instead, so the "4.5BSD" thing is basically an early version of what we
know know as 4.1BSD.... So between these two quirks, I'm not surprised
there's not an 'untainted' version of 4.1BSD around... I'm guessing the
tape that has the July 1981 date on it was made in early 1982 and the extra
files with the weird dates are just an artifact of when the tape was made
and that people had used the 'master image' system in the mean time, if for
nothing else than logging into and running the make tape script :)

Warner