[TUHS] a possible source for 4.1BSD tapes

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Tue Mar 12 07:47:55 AEST 2019

On 3/10/19 10:46 PM, Jason Stevens wrote:
>  is there a kyrolux like device for tapes?

The problem is dropouts from either tape surface contamination or oxide loss, tape skew, and tape stretch.

I've been working off and on with Len Shustek on analog digitization and recovery of 7 and 9 track tape

https://github.com/LenShustek/readtape

to try to deal with tape that has signal degradation

He and I use Saleae Pro Logic 16 USB 16-channel USB setups connected to the read amps of a tape drive

I have a Linux box set up with 128gb of memory for data capture.

It is a time-consuming process, and I only resort to that for high-value problem children.