[TUHS] a possible source for 4.1BSD tapes

Nigel Williams nw at retrocomputingtasmania.com
Tue Mar 12 16:21:01 AEST 2019

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 4:39 AM Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> Other than for history's sake, I don't see the value of 4.1

On the history side, I found having 4.1 BSD important when we were
recovering the build of a programming language on this version. As we
had the binary we wanted to be sure that when we re-compiled we could
confirm that the result was identical to the original. This was to
ensure that we had recovered the build environment as it was
originally. For that reason, I would urge preservationists to always
try to recover as many incremental versions as possible.