[TUHS] Quotas - did anyone ever use them?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri May 31 03:28:29 AEST 2019

On 5/30/19 7:49 AM, David wrote:
> So, anyone ever use this feature?

Yes.  I have been on both sides of disk / file system quota,
occasionally at the same time.

I remember them being applied when I was in school.

I applied them to mail servers I administered (50 MB quota).

I think I even used a combination of soft (50 MB) and hard (100 MB)
quotas.  I really liked the soft/hard pair because someone could go over
their quota for up to 7 days (?) until they hit the hard quota.  This
gave some buffer for busy weekends and vacation time.

I also applied a quota to myself (and the other admins) specifically so
that we couldn't accidentally fill the file system and DoS our users.  I
think I gave us a 1 or 2 GB quota.  I do remember raising it once or
twice for specific things.  It did save our collected back sides
multiple times too.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die