[TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Fri Nov 1 00:10:39 AEST 2019

Tom,

Thanks.

AIX/370 existed and I *think* would boot on bare metal instead of running
on top of VM.  I don't know what, if any, relationship it had to the
Locus work. (In the late '80s I worked at a university computing center
with VMS, Suns, and IBM gear; so I'm recalling what I heard. I never
actually saw AIX/370 running.)

> The Bell Labs 370 port was different, it was based on running inside of
> TSS/370, which was an IBM OS which hardly anyone besides Bells's ESS group
> used.

That's what I thought. That clarifies the README for the TUHS archives
(Warren, ...).

> Much later, Sun ported Solaris to the Hitachi HDS 370 clones (for Hitachi),
> and then to Amdahl clones for Amdahl/Fujitsu.

Any chance on getting those? ISTR that it was SunOS 4.0 that was
ported. Larry -- any firsthand knowledge on that?

Arnold