[TUHS] Happy birthday Morris worm

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Wed Nov 6 02:04:49 AEST 2019

We got hit at Rutgers on some of our ancillary machines early in the day (the 750 that belonged really to the the JVN computing center mostly) and I collected the evidence and learned through the internet grapevine where the vulnerabilities were and plugged them (also wrote some scripts to look for the holes and evidence of the worm on other machines at RU).    Got everything cleaned up by noon time or so and I figured that was the end.   The next day I was scheduled to be in DC on other business so I felt confident on leaving.

Apparently however, the biggest impact on us of the worm had yet to hit.   The news caught wind of it that evening and started calling the computer center early the next morning.   I wasn’t there so it pretty much chewed up all of Chuck Hedrick’s day answering press inquiries.