[TUHS] one element of one of M factions of N companies [Re: Amdahl UTS, AIX/370, AIX/ESA

Charles H Sauer sauer at technologists.com
Wed Nov 6 08:11:11 AEST 2019

Clem says today "It was then I realized IBM was N different companies,
each competing with each other." He's said that to me before and I then
responded "Actually, it was more like M competing factions within N
competing companies."

It has been illuminating, surprising, but not shocking, the last week of
so, to learn from from posts here, that AIX/370 was hard to get and
mostly a university offering. What we (AIX people associated with RT/PC
and then RS/6000) were told was that "everybody", especially Federal
customers, wanted what became known as TCF (the original Locus work) for
370 and PS/2. I remember one Federal Systems Division person who seemed
especially effective as a Locus advocate. I'd always assumed AIX/370 and
AIX PS/2 became more available than reported here, but I left IBM before
they were released.

Enumerating factions/companies, just regarding AIX & Unix, there were
the Federal Systems faction/company, the academic factions/company
(primarily two factions, BSD & TCF, in Palo Alto), the PS/2
faction/company, the Rochester System/38->AS/400 faction/company, the
Austin development lab, several Research locations (primarily Yorktown), ...

And in LCC there were the firewalled TCF/TNC entities.

It would be interesting to know more from the TCF folks at LCC. With
Jerry's passing, if there is to be further clarity on what happened with
AIX/370, it would probably have to come from Bruce Walker or Greg Thiel.
I don't think I've had contact with either since I left IBM in 1989.

CHS

voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer at technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/
Facebook/Google/Skype/Twitter: CharlesHSauer