[TUHS] UNIX or unix

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Nov 10 05:39:32 AEST 2019

    > From: Nemo Nusquam

    > One comment .. stated that (s)he worked at The Bell and they wrote it
    > "unix" (lower-case) to distinguish it from MULTICS. Anyone care to
    > comment on this?

All the original Multics hardcopy documentation I have (both from GE and MIT,
as well as later material from Honeywell) spells it 'Multics'. Conversely, an
original V6 UPM spells it 'UNIX'; I think it switched to 'Unix' around the
time of V7. (I don't know about _really_ early, like on the PDP-7.)

The bit about case to differentiate _might_ be right.

	Noel