[TUHS] Happy birthday Morris worm

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Wed Nov 13 17:35:26 AEST 2019

Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:

> I am very disappointed that programming education seems not to care
> enough about this sort of thing, even today.

I think this is the key. Universities focus (too much?) on the theory
and not enough on the practice, and "learn how to program" courses
and books focus on the mechanics (syntax, semantics) and not enough
(or at all) on the practicum of writing code well.

We continue to rely on the school of hard knocks, and we continue
to pay for this reliance.

I also think there's a sliding scale. The fancier or higher-end
the university, the more the focus on theory, and vice versa. Sigh.

Arnold