[TUHS] Happy birthday Morris worm [ really programming education ]

Adam Thornton athornton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 08:49:29 AEST 2019

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:03 PM Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com> wrote:

> arnold at skeeve.com writes:
> Programming today is taught as if it consists of importing libraries
> and gluing function calls together.

To be fair, this is basically what modern software development in
enterprise settings is.  Thing is, you don’t need a CS degree for that;
it’s a completely artificial barrier to entry.  You need an
apprenticeship.  That’s even kind of acknowledged, in that by your third
job, no one cares where or if you went to school or what for.

Anyway, my question for you all is, how do we as seasoned practitioners
> leverage our experience to contribute to the state of the art?  Any of
> you found a way to pass on your knowledge?

Find someone who’s interested and talk to them?  I mean, that’s kinda what
this list is, right?

The other part: it’s historically been a crap shoot whether the CS
department at any given place came out of EE, in which case it was the
bottom-up here’s a transistor, and here’s a flip-flop, and, look, logic
gates!  Adders!  Et cetera, or it came out of the math department and is a
theory-heavy specialization of some very particular parts of discrete
mathematics and combinatorics.