[TUHS] Steve Bellovin recounts the history of USENET

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Thu Nov 21 13:50:53 AEST 2019

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 19:14:23 -0800 Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I'd be super happy if he joined the list.  I enjoyed reading
> those, wished he had gone into more detail.
>
> On the Usenet topic, does anyone remember dejanews?  Searchable
> archive of all the posts to Usenet.  Google bought them and then,
> so far as I know, the searchable part went away.
>
> If someone knows how to search back to the beginnings of Usenet,
> my early tech life is all there, I'd love to be able to show my kids
> that.  Big arguing with Mash on comp.arch, following Guy Harris on
> comp.unix-wizards, etc.

I have occasionally downloaded some mbox.zip files from
    https://archive.org/details/usenet
But there are too many files there.  Would be nice if there
was a collaborative effort to organize them in a more usable,
searchable state. Pretty much all of it (minus binaries
groups) can be stored locally (or using some global
namespace.