[TUHS] Steve Bellovin recounts the history of USENET

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Thu Nov 21 18:56:13 AEST 2019

uk.* and eu.* seem to be unfindable. Stuff from before the great
USENET re-org is mostly unfindable. cross posting to lists, only
partially visible.  I've tried to find my own rants, its like I was
born into the world in 1996. What happened to 1982-onward? It just ..
evaporated.

If things have improved, I'd be happy to wish it true, but what I
recall is the archives were bootstrapped from tapes held by people who
felt it was the best they could do, in a time where people didn't
really keep ephemera, and alas, the stuff wasn't all, it was the view
of all. which some people saw.

I think uk.* never left the island.  Maybe this is one of those
definitions things: we used the A and B news protocol, we used UUCP,
we were on USENET, but if we weren't in the backbone cabal, its like
we didn't exist.

People love to talk about shebang addressing (me too, and VMS a::b::c)
but Honey-Danber, was the shizzle. They made the world so much
simpler, by doing the obvious flattening of the pathspace into
namespace, with path dealt with elsewhere. moving to a at somewhere was
god-given help to morons. Shebang paths sucked.

(It would not surprise me for a hk.* and jp.* and su.* and the like to
say: "brother, you have no idea")