[TUHS] Someone wants to use an exabyte [ really bulk erasing ]

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Nov 26 01:25:17 AEST 2019

Somewhere in the basement, I have tape eraser that was recommended by one
of my brothers (who ran KHOU's Sports department for 30 years and it was a
piece of gear they used all the time for professional video tapes). I
haven't used it much, but I have used it for 9-tracks and seems to have
worked.  FWIW: I got it here at a (in)famous local electronics place near
MIT (Eli Hefferon and Sons - 'A Nerdi Knight Holy Place')  I must have
gotten it in the early/mid 1980s for about $75, I remember it was much more
expensive than the Radio Shack thing - but my bro said it really worked.
 At the time I was doing some consulting for a NYC law firm and I had to
document to the courts that all the data I had been delivered was properly
destroyed.   They were satisfied and never heard anything more about it.

It seems to have erased everything have had near it when it on.  In fact, I
was always a little worried that it will erase unintended stuff too when I
use it.  It hums and vibrates on the table and you are supposed to move the
tape horizontal to it and make circular motions over it.  I had taken my
watch and wedding ring off the first time I ever tried it and it moved my
watch from a table about 3 feet away. I was pretty impressed.