[TUHS] Someone wants to use an exabyte

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Tue Nov 26 03:40:22 AEST 2019

A few years back, I decided to go through my stack of 8mm
Exabyte-written tapes... An early Exabyte 8200 2GB Exabyte drive was
useless. A 2/5G drive worked.

There were errors on one or two tapes. But each and every one was an
analog 8mm video tape, not a real data tape. And I was able to splice
the backup set enough so that whatever it was written with would be
happy enough to restore the data once pieced back together. A mix of
tar, and ufsbackup for the most part.

During this process, I bought an Exabyte Mammoth off eBay - didn't use
it much, but it read those old tapes just fine.

I was able to recover scads of personal stuff that I already had copies
of, along with a few dumps of the USENET systems I was using to serve as
a 3-modem BBS for USENET. And yes, sometimes, I go back into old backup
tapes to recover data I already have on disk. I hate bit-rot, I do
whatever I can to mitigate it.

art k.

PS: DAT 4mm tape drives, especially whatever Sun was using, were awful.
Around 50% of them I dealt with all got into a mode within the first
year where they would accept a tape, and just kick it back out right
away. Because they were under support, they were just replaced, so I
never looked into it hardware-wise.