[TUHS] Someone wants to use an exabyte

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Tue Nov 26 04:34:33 AEST 2019

On 11/25/2019 12:45 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 12:40:22PM -0500, Arthur Krewat wrote:
>> PS: DAT 4mm tape drives, especially whatever Sun was using, were awful.
> It's no secret that I enjoyed my years at Sun, but I can't defend these
> drives, I had the same experience.  When I look back on it, the only
> tapes that I remember being reliable where the 9 track reel to reel
> and the QIC-150.  Once it got to GB sized tapes, everything seemed
> like crap.

The Exabyte 5GB and up stuff was pretty good. LTOs, after having worked
with them for the past 13 years, I can definitely say, are quit awesome.

DLT tapes and especially robots, well, it took HP about 5 years to get
the firmware right for a certain robot, the model of which, I don't
recall ...

art k.