[TUHS] capturing history of bs(1) command / programming language

Dave Plonka dave at plonka.us
Tue Oct 1 05:29:55 AEST 2019

Hi TUHS folks,

Earlier this month I did a fair bit of research on a little known Unix
programming language - bs - and updated the wikipedia pages
accordingly.

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bs_(programming_language)

Thanks for solving some bs mysteries goes to its author, Dick Haight,
as well as those that got us in touch: Doug McIlroy, Brian Kernighan,
and John Mashey.

Apart from what is in the aforementioned wikipedia page, in exchanging
email with me, Dick shared:

q(
I wrote bs at the time Unix (V 3?) and all of the commands were being
converted from assembler to C. So Thompson’s bas became my bs — sort
of. I included snobol’s succeed/fail feature (? Operator/fail return).
[...]

No one asked me to write bs. [...] I tried to get Dennis Ritche to add
something like “? / fail” to C but he didn’t. This is probably part of
why I wrote bs. I wasn’t part of the Unix inner circle (BTL Computing
Research, e.g., Thompson, Ritchie, McIlroy, etc). Neither were Mashey
& Dolotta. We were “support”.
)

The Release 3.0 manual (1980) mentions bs prominently on page 9:

   Writing a program. To enter the text of a source program into a
UNIX file, use ed(1). The four principal languages available under
UNIX are C (see cc(1)), Fortran (see f77(1)), bs (a
compiler/interpreter in the spirit of Basic, see bs(1)), and assembly
language (see as(1)).

Personally, some reasons I find bs noteworthy is (a) it is not much
like BASIC (from today's perspective) and (b)  as mentioned in the
wikipedia page, "The bs language is a hybrid interpreter and compiler
and [an early] divergence in Unix programming" (from Research Unix
mentioning only the other three languages):

q(
The bs language was meant for convenient development and debugging of
small, modular programs. It has a collection of syntax and features
from prior, popular languages but it is internally compiled, unlike a
Shell script. As such, in purpose, design, and function, bs is a
largely unknown, modest predecessor of hybrid interpreted/compiled
languages such as Perl and Python.
)

It survives today in some System III-derived or System V-derived
commercial operating systems, including HP-UX and AIX.

If you have additional information that might be useful for the
wikipedia page, please do share it.

Peace,
Dave

P.S. Here is a 2008 TUHS list discussion, "Re: /usr/bin/bs on HPUX?":

--

dave at plonka.us  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/