[TUHS] Recovered /etc/passwd files

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Thu Oct 10 06:14:07 AEST 2019

On 10/9/2019 3:59 PM, Rob Pike wrote:

> Interesting though it is, though, I find this hacking distasteful. It
> was distasteful back when, and it still is. The attitudes around
> hackery have changed; the position nowadays seems to be that the bad
> guys are doing it so the good guys should be rewarded for doing it
> first. That's disingenuous at best, and dangerous at worst.

Which is why, after a point, I asked if the results were OK to post.

TBH, I ranged far and wide in my hacking back in the early 80's. I am
proud of it on the one hand, because it exposed me to systems that I
would never have had access to. And when I found huge gaping security
holes, I usually let them know. But on the other hand, well, you've
expressed the exact sentiment. My only experience with TOPS-20 and UNIX
early on was because of that.

I never went to college. In fact, I never graduated high school. But I
was hired as a consultant to do systems programming for TOPS-10 systems
by the consulting firm that ran BOCES/LIRICS in Dix Hills, NY. I was
mentored by a great guy, Bruce Maier, and using my hacking experience, I
continue to this day to try to help both my consulting customers, and
the general public whenever I can.

I'm a white-hat kinda guy ;)

art k.