[TUHS] Recovered /etc/passwd files

William Pechter pechter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 21:09:35 AEST 2019

On 10/11/2019 2:24 AM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2019, Nemo wrote:
>
>> Some (large) companies regularly run password crackers on their
>> employees' passwords and inform them if their passwords are found
>> "insufficiently strong to protect company assets".
>
> An ex-employer of mine (not the reason I left) used to do just that.
>
>> Good, bad, distasteful, prudent, off-topic?
>
> Depends :-)
>
> -- Dave

And when I was an instructor and sysadmin at Pyramid, I caught a
co-worker with a SUID ksh binary named  "..."  "hidden under his home
directory in a directory named "..." because su took too long.  Yeah and
su had logging.  Thank you COPS.  Not that I distrusted him -- but when
you share sysadmin duties there are things thatshouldn't be done.

Bill