[TUHS] Welcome to new TUHS subscribers

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Fri Oct 11 22:55:13 AEST 2019

On 11/10/2019 03:46, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2019, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>
>> DEC documentation mostly used uppercase in the text; e.g. the "pdp11
>> peripherals handbook" (to transcribe the cover exactly) uses "PDP-11"
>> several times on pg 1-1.
>
> And being an acronym it is of course upper-case...

Hi, Dave.

On the _machine_ itself, DEC wrote "pdp11"...

An acronym doesn't have to be upper-case!

Many Unix commands are lower case acronyms:

   cd = (c)ange (d)irectory
   pwd (p)rint (w)orking (directory)
   ls = (l)ist file(s)

I guess that my introduction to Seventh Edition Unix running on a
"pdp11/34" made me think it was obviously designed to run Unix ;-)

Bye,

   Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk