[TUHS] What was your "Aha, Unix!" moment?

Jim Capp jcapp at anteil.com
Sat Oct 12 03:40:43 AEST 2019

Thanks Jim. Your story about BASIC and C reminded me of another "aha" moment.

My first programming job involving UNIX in the early 1980's was to send data to an IBM mainframe via 2780/3780 binary synchronous communications (BSC).

I started writing a HEX dump utility using BASIC. I wasn't happy with the execution speed and started reading man pages.

I discovered C. Having done some work with assembly, I immediately recognized the similarity and function as a "portable assembler".

By that time, UNIX had been ported to at least a dozen different architectures.

I was sold on the design, utility, and "openness" of the documentation, and have been working with nearly every flavor of *NIX ever since.

Cheers,

Jim