[TUHS] What was your "Aha, Unix!" moment?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Oct 12 13:34:48 AEST 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 11:23:21PM -0400, Richard Salz wrote:
> My first Unix-related AHA moment was working through the sample code in the
> BSD 4.1c networking tutorial and having two unrelated processes that I
> wrote communicate.  Without a pipe!  (I'd already used Unix for a few years
> and didn't think twice, it was just a natural fit.  But sockets, woah.)

Sockets woah indeed.  Shout out to Clem and the Masscomp doc people because
they, not UW Madison that was doing all sorts of good work, the Masscomp
docs got me to understand sockets.

Richard, I get it, it is a light bulb moment when you realize that
you can get two unrelated processes talk to each other.  It bumps your
understanding of what is possible.  Which today seems lame, there is so
much, but I get it, back then that was huge.