[TUHS] What was your "Aha, Unix!" moment?

Jon Forrest nobozo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 10:36:18 AEST 2019

On 10/13/2019 2:45 PM, Steve Johnson wrote:

> I did have the opportunity in the early years to demonstrate Unix to
> several dozen people, mostly users of the (IBM) mainframe computers and
> the GE/Honeywell Time Sharing System.  The sequence that initiated
> gasps, confusion, and ultimately joy was:
> %  echo hello joe > hijoe
> % cat hijoe
> hello joe

A technically equivalent but more dramatic version of this
that I used to use back then was a shell script that would
prompt for the name of a file to display, and then display the
file whose name the user entered.

This would make steam come out of the ears of the IBM mainframe
people because it wasn't possible to do that on the IBM mainframe
in use at the time.

Jon