[TUHS] What was your "Aha, Unix!" moment?

Rico Pajarola rp at servium.ch
Mon Oct 14 12:32:36 AEST 2019

My first "Aha moment" was when I (accidentally) discovered job control.
Being able to hit ctrl-Z while editing something, do some things, type "fg"
and be back where I left off was just amazing. None of the "unix emulation"
products on top of dos/windows could do that (at least at the time, the
ones available to me. IIRC cygwin these days has job control).

Then I bought O'Reilly's "Unix Power Tools" book (which I recommend to
anyone. Great book). The next epiphany was the discovery of `` (backticks)
and xargs. Command line arguments and pipes could be transformed into each
other. Just wow. Then I discovered vi and permanently lost the ability to
be happy with other operating systems.