[TUHS] Simple Unix install? (was: What was your "Aha, Unix!" moment?)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Oct 15 14:27:08 AEST 2019

On Monday, 14 October 2019 at 22:06:11 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> The second was the simplicity of the install...

Clearly you weren't installing Interactive UNIX/386 from floppy, like
my first experience.  It was like pulling teeth.

I wasn't alone.  A year or two later (about 1994) I was contacted by
the editorial team of iX, a German Unix magazine, asking if I had
managed to install Consensys UNIX System V.4 (maybe from tape by this
time).  They were having such difficulties that they ended up with an
article saying effectively "Consensys looks good, and we've heard good
things from other people, but we totally failed to install it".

That was one of the things that I found so refreshing with BSD/386,
also round that time.  Part of the issue with the System V variants
was the incessant entry of activation keys for every tiny component,
as well as the lack of overall documentation.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.