[TUHS] Recovered /etc/passwd files

ewe2 ewe2 at ewe2.ninja
Sun Oct 20 06:27:45 AEST 2019

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 09:45:30AM -0400, Norman Wilson wrote:
> I'm amused (in a good way) that this thread persists, and
> without becoming boring.
>
> Speaking as someone who was Ken's sysadmin for six years,
> I find it hard to get upset over someone cracking a password
> hash that has been out in the open for decades, using an
> algorithm that became pragmatically unsafe slightly fewer
> decades ago.  It really shouldn't be in use anywhere any
> more anyway.  Were I still Ken's sysadmin I'd have leaned
> on him to change it long ago.

I have a disk from one of Melbourne Uni's old Alpha servers from back in the
1990's and the passwd file is a who's who of staff, but I could only crack 3
of the student's passwords. The system is interesting in other ways, it's a
snapshot of the old oz.au network.

--
I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise as they fly by.