[TUHS] How to do differential/integral on a PDP-7, was: Space Travel

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Sun Oct 20 06:40:14 AEST 2019

On 10/19/2019 4:12 PM, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> As long as you have the basic instructions (which pretty much any
> computer capable of doing useful arithemtic calculations will need
> anyway), you can implement the rest of what you need using those
> building blocks. Specific_hardware_  support for floating point
> calculations is not needed.

Not to mention, if you start using log/alog tables, and/or sin/cos/tan
tables, and interpolation, you can quickly ramp up computation speed for
simple games that have a small matrix of coordinates. Something like
EMPIRE becomes quite easy.

Imagine my distress when, after cutting my teeth on a PDP-10, that
working on a 6502 I had to do my own division. Oh, the HORROR!

art k.