[TUHS] What was your "Aha, Unix!" moment?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Oct 21 22:34:20 AEST 2019

{Been meaning to get to this one for a while...}

    > From: Pat Barron <patbarron at acm.org>

    > The idea of processes being able to talk to each other (without some
    > kind of pre-arrangement, like setting up a pipe between them, or using
    > temporary files) was just amazing ... On V7m, I stumbled across the
    > mpx(5) man page.

It's probably worth pointing out that before V7, stock Unix _didn't_ have a
way for two un-related processes to communicate, hence the invention of port()
by Rand. See:

  https://minnie.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=BBN-V6
  https://minnie.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=BBN-V6/doc/ipc

(Note: BBN did _not_ do the original port() stuff, they just used it.)

       Noel