[TUHS] PDP-7 UNIX filesystem

Kurt H Maier khm at sciops.net
Wed Oct 23 12:02:03 AEST 2019

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 05:07:33PM -0700, Mary Ann Horton wrote:
> dd is deprecated?  I'm surprised. I use it all the time.

dd is not deprecated.  The maintainer of the jargon file is not a
reliable narrator.  dd(1) is even specified in IEEE Std 1003.1-2017,
which mentions the JCL history and explains that it takes 'operands' and
not 'options' to retain compatibility with the original syntax.

dd(1) on Plan 9 changes to regular option flags, such as -if= and -of=,
and some folks get disproportionately annoyed by the change.  Can't
please everyone, I guess.

khm