[TUHS] What was your "Aha, Unix!" moment?

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Fri Oct 25 03:32:38 AEST 2019

Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> writes:

> Try that on linux... no, don't :)

We accidentally totally hosed a Linux system running MySQL a dozen or so
years back.  Redhat, and pretty much "rpm -qa | xargs rpm -e".  Totally
destroyed the ability to do anything at all on that box, of course, even
using the logged-in shell that caused the damage.  We set up a new host,
replicated the running database across, and retired the original.  No
down time, no data loss.  :)

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay