[TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is now out

Mary Ann Horton mah at mhorton.net
Tue Oct 29 07:41:39 AEST 2019

I'm enjoying bwk's book very much, but it has me wondering. There are
two stories I've heard that supposedly occurred at Murray Hill, but he
didn't include them. I've read past the badge section and the "grepping
for my keys" comment, so I believe I've come past the right point.

Without telling the actual stories here, one involves a monkey picture
pasted onto a Bell Labs badge, the other is about an MTS who was late to
a meeting because she was grepping her apartment for her keys. I've told
these stories often, and they get a good laugh.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of these stories, who told them,
whether they are true, etc?

Thanks,

     Mary Ann