[TUHS] If not Linux, then what?

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Sun Sep 1 01:14:10 AEST 2019

Hello.

Dave Horsfall wrote in <alpine.BSF.2.21.9999.1908311134050.37360 at aneurin\
.horsfall.org>:
 |On Thu, 29 Aug 2019, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |>|Today however not in the 80ths. Inn those days all 4 cars were Richie \
 |>|Rich cars.
 |>
 |> And only the Mazda had that wonderful smooth engine which replaces
 |> pounding pistons with nice chuckling triangles.
 |
 |[ Getting OT... ]

Yes, sorry for that.

 |Too bad about the seals, though...  They had this habit of wearing out.

I do not think this is actually true.  I think it was "not false"
for the first series of the NSU Ro80 at the beginning of the 70s,
but materials engineering is what made such unbelievable progress
ever since, it always leaves me just speechless.

"Not false" in that it likely was dependent on the way of driving
even back then.  I definitely have heard stories of people still
driving Ro80 first series, original.

And for later ones, say Mazda RX-8, i think it is a problem of the
past, anyway.  I just looked, and Mazda finally gave 100000 Miles
guarantee for the seals.
I mean, in the end these are industry products which compete in
a surrounding market, and i do not mean this positively.  For
example, the Lenovo laptop i bought this year grants itself a four
year lifetime (states the manual for the Russian market, for which
such statements seem to be required).

The problem of the Wankelmotor is the form of the combustion
chamber, which is even worse than for the Otto (or Diesel) piston
engine, even less spherical.  Modern injection systems and
electronical management can overcome this a bit.  You know, i will
never forget the IAA (car exhibition in Frankfurt/Main Germany)
either at the end of the 80s or the beginning of the 90s, where
Toyota shewed high-speed videos of the combustion process.  It was
rather trial-and-error before, with a lot of things tried (piston
forms, multiple spark plugs, electronical spark control), but
Toyota came up with diet mix engines at that time, and started to
use direct injection (iirc).  This is not new, i think we had that
already for fighter plane engines in WWII, but it was trial and
error.  With those videos and better gauges the combustion process
was better understood, and resulted in improved efficiency and
exhaustion behaviour.

I was surprised that the Atkinson engine which drives at least the
Honda and Toyota Hybrid cars does not use direct injection, but
rather the suction line one again, but it is the end of decades of
science and exploration, right.  Some Atkinson engines use a mixed
injection that also includes direct injection it seems (Lexus?).

--steffen