[TUHS] dmr streams & networking [was: Re: If not Linux, then what?]

Rudi Blom rudi.j.blom at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 12:16:39 AEST 2019

I don't remember from where I got the scheme, so it might be general,
DigitalUnix, or HP-UX related. Checking the "HP 9000 networking XTI
programmer's guide" from 1995 there's no diagram.

The application which was initially developed on a SystemV derived
UNIX the Computer division of Philips Electronics had bought, used
TLI. Taken over by DEC we moved to SCO UNIX still using TLI, moving to
XLI on Alpha/Digital Unix.

The nice thing of TLI/XLI is the poll(). A multi-client server can
check a list of file descriptors AND indicate a timeout value for the
poll(). Like in
   	ret_cd = poll(tep->CEPlist, tep->CEPnumb, timeout);

BTW putting in a bit of OSI, on SCO UNIX I use a DEC package which
offers a TLI interface to an OSI TP4/IP stack. Even worked using X.25
as WAN. OSI TP4 and NetBIOS originally bought from Retix.