[TUHS] SCCS

Eric Allman tuhs at eric.allman.name
Fri Sep 13 02:45:30 AEST 2019

Actually I preferred SCCS for all the reasons that Larry has described.
 But SCCS was encumbered --- usable at the university, but not in a
commercial environment --- so it wasn't available at Britton-Lee at a
price we could afford, and RCS was pretty much the only other game in town.

Tichy was comparing against SCCS version 1, as described in the paper
"The source code control system" (Marc Rochkind, IEEE Transactions on
Software Engineering 1, 4, December 1975), which used forward deltas ---
very slow as your history got big.  I spent considerable time trying to
convince him that the version of SCCS in current production was as Larry
described, where any version could be read in linear time, but he wasn't
hearing anything that went against his beliefs.  So far as I know, he
never even looked at or measured the system he was comparing RCS to.

Today I probably wouldn't use SCCS, mostly because of the atomic update
problem (which was still broken in RCS, but fixed in CVS).  At this
point I'm using git because, well, all the cool kids are doing it, and
since I work at the university I have to go with the flow sometimes.
And git has some nice properties.  On the other hand, I have shot myself
in the foot with git more times than the sum of all other screwups with
all other source management systems combined.

eric