[TUHS] My EuroBSDcon talk (preview for commentary)

Branden Robinson g.branden.robinson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 19:03:01 AEST 2019

Hi Warner,

Just a few minor corrections.

1. slide 21: s/Murrey Hill/Murray Hill/
2. slide 18: s/IOCC/&C/
3. slide 28: s/strippe down/stripped down/; s/IOCC/&C/

Now I know why the domain name is ioccc.org and not iocc.org.  Well-crafted
obfuscated C is nothing if not...unorthodox.

I hadn't even heard of VENIX before--great archeology!  As you lusted for
that OS back in the '80s, I lusted after the Rainbow 100 itself, and found
it cool for the same reasons you did.  The flexibility of the system was
appealing, keeping a bridge to my Z80 origins and the x86 juggernaut.  As
it happened I wound up with a 6809 machine running OS/9, and got Unix-like
exposure without even knowing it (the text editor, T/S Edit, was a vi
clone, and the "word processor", T/S Word, a *roff clone).  And best of
all, that machine taught me how to store multibyte integers correctly.

x86's worst-ever implementation of memory segmentation put me off of
assembly programming for years.  When I finally saw sensible segmentation
combined with hardware memory protection, the universe made sense again.

You have a wealth of great material here and I think you will surprise some
people.

Regards,
Branden