[TUHS] [SPAM] Re: SCCS

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Sep 14 07:36:32 AEST 2019

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019, Peter Jeremy wrote:

>> Giggle...  I found I could actually *edit* an SCCS file, provided I reset
>> the checksum to zero (it was then recalculated).
>
> I think that was deliberate.  ISTR editing SCCS files and repairing the
> checksum as well, though I don't recally exactly how.

I don't recall why I had to edit the SCCS file (this was decades ago) but
it was just a plain ASCII file, with the checksum as a string of digits
up near the front somewhere.

It *may* be because I screwed up an update, and didn't want to own up to
it :-)  I don't recall whether SCCS allowed updates to be backed out.

>> I believe that NFS is much more reliable now (yes, it used to be awful).
>
> NFS ran much faster when you turned off the UDP checksums as well.
> (Though there was still the Ethernet CRC32).

Blerk...  That just tells you that the packet came across the wire more or
less OK.

-- Dave