[TUHS] earliest Unix roff

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Sep 14 12:02:40 AEST 2019

> >     slightest interest in scrapping Unix. Therefore, we transliterated
> >     the roff text formatter into PDP-11 assembler language, starting from
> >     the PDP-7 version that had been transliterated from McIlroy???s BCPL
> >     version on Multics, which had in turn been inspired by J. Saltzer???s
> >     runoff program on CTSS.

As a *roff guy to the core, to this day, I'd love to see any docs on the
Multics version and/or the CTSS version.

Roff has some pretty sophisticated stuff (environments come to mind) that
I think 99.9% of the CS world doesn't understand (sort of like my rant
on SCCS, most people didn't look hard enough to get it.  I'm not sure
that I get roff environments to this day but I kinda do).

I'd love to see the docs on that early stuff and see if Joe Ossanna
added in his own magic or was he carrying forward earlier magic.

--lm

P.S.  I love this list for this stuff, I'm an old retired guy that
wishes he could have helped birth Unix.  Hanging out with the people
who were there is super fun.