[TUHS] earliest Unix roff

U'll Be King of the Stars ullbeking at andrewnesbit.org
Sun Sep 15 12:56:54 AEST 2019

On 14/09/2019 03:44, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 07:02:40PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
>> Roff has some pretty sophisticated stuff (environments come to mind) that
>> I think 99.9% of the CS world doesn't understand

This thread about *roff echoes something that I have been thinking about
recently.

I've been wondering whether it is possible and worthwhile to use *roff
for complex technical documentation.  I've always loved the aesthetic
that books produced using *roff have but there are other reasons too.

As far as _markup_ is concerned we have DocBook for example.  I am also
looking into this.  (Also, I understand it's not a typesetting system.)

Getting back to *roff, does anybody know if there is a (hopefully rich)
repository of macros, or any other resources, for my use case?  (La)TeX
has this but I'd like to try something else.  What do people think?

Kind regards,

Andrew
--
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9