[TUHS] earliest Unix roff

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Mon Sep 16 03:23:30 AEST 2019

ROFF is the simplest of the runoff programs but is utterly frozen.

I started with the -ms macro package so I had fondness for it, but switched to -mm over time.     I had done some work (after not being able to pry a version Dennis Mumaugh had written out of the agency) on putting classification marking and formatting in it.    I had restyled it to make the output look like the standard IBM formatting when we were doing UNIX work under contract for IBM.

At Hopkins, we had a small furor when Mike (Michael John) Muuss wrote his own macro package and installed it as tmac.jm (invoked by the -mjm option).   This led to lots of jokes about renaming programs and options after various users.